On Tuesday 2 March from 12 noon – 1pm, join Imagine Better’s CEO Tony Paine as he explores what being an ally means with a panel that includes:
- people with lived experience of disability
- people who work in the disability sector and non-disabled people who have worked as allies, and
- advocates in the disability rights movement.
The panel discussion will be held on Zoom and live-streamed on Facebook.
The panel members are:
- Paula Tesoriero, Disability Rights Commissioner
- Mike Potter, CEO of Disability Connect
- Debbie Hager, University of Auckland and
- Missy Morton, University of Auckland.
Tony will structure the conversation around the following questions and is keen to follow where the chat takes us.
- What does the idea of non-disabled people being allies or advocates in the disability rights movement mean to you?
- What advice would you give to non-disabled people who want to support the disability rights movement and help change the attitudes, behaviour and systems that currently exclude and harm disabled people?
- What does ableism mean to you?
- What are the most urgent changes you think are needed to make for a more accessible, inclusive, non-disabling world?
You can ask questions to the panel or a particular panellist by emailing [email protected] or through the Q&A on the day. We will try to keep up with any questions on Facebook too, but might need to come back to you later if we don't get to you on the day.
You can sign up to attend the live Zoom session using the RSVP form on this page or simply watch the live stream on Facebook. Spaces at the live Zoom panel are limited so register early!
If you miss the live session, we will post the recordings on our website and social media.
Sorry, this event is sold out.
Being an Ally - our first live panel discussion 12 noon 2 March 2021
March 02, 2021 at 12pm - 1pm
Online - A zoom link will be provided